- The Alfresco Bistro is undercover.
- Our bartender is from Mt Isa where she suggests there are 36-degree winter days. This is better than Mt Iso where life is decidedly grim.
- When Claire orders our meals the bartender displays excellent up-selling skills asking, “Shall I add another red on your bill for later?”
- It’s Happy Hour with all beers $6.50. However, XXXX Gold is $6.60 which is more than the necessary disincentive.
- Two beardy lads are playing pool. A pool table is rare in my pub travels.
- Claire asks for a house red and the bartender brings three bottles for her to choose from – a Coonawarra, a Langhorne Creek and a Barossa Valley.
- We meet our dear friend Chris (also Kapunda High class of 1983) who works at the Osborne Naval Shipyard.
- Chris has been to Spain for work many times. Once in the south of Spain he asked a local, “What’s that big island over there?” The local replied, “Africa.”
- His trip to the UK’s Goodwood Festival of Speed has been cancelled. With his refund Chris will buy a beer-making kit so he can brew ESB.
- Two guitars hang on the wall. No labels identify these so I assume they were lost property.
- Chris and I both order the fish and the fillets are most generous.
- Claire takes much of her (vegetarian) pizza home and finishes it for lunch on Thursday.
- Our meals come with petite bread rolls. Pleasingly, these are warm and not, as many I have had, fresh from the fridge and colder than the beer.
- The Happy Hour blackboard advertises an Alien Brain Annihilation. This seems optimistic. I have never seen an alien, not even in Semaphore.
2 thoughts on “Fourteen Notes on the Fed on Semaphore”
I’m so keen on your keen observations. X
LikeLiked by 1 person
This is keenly received. X